This month a contest in running on this blog. All you have to do is respond to a question. There are no tricks, no wrong answers (but please read the rules below to avoid disappointment). Just a thoughtful response is required to this question:
What is the best travel destination you have ever visited that connected you more deeply with nature or the Earth? It must be a place you have visited, not one you dream of visiting. It does not have to be a wilderness area. You might not have had to travel more than a few kilometres. It might even be a city. Your answer must also include a brief explanation of how the place affected you or why you consider it the best.
The prize is a one-year subscription to Orion magazine, paid for by myself because I think it is a great, thought-provoking publication about our relationship with the Earth.
Please read the rules:
- You must provide a thoughtful answer to the contest question appearing in bold type above. Only entries fulfilling the spirit of the question will be eligible to win.
- Answers must be 125 words or less.
- People entering the contest grant me permission to repost their responses to the question, edited as I deem necessary.
- The answer may be delivered to me by a comment to this post, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “blogathon armchair contest” included in the subject line.
- I will promote this contest on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. I will do my best to include any responses to my tweets, posts and pins on those sites as eligible entries, but cannot take responsibility for any I might lose or overlook. The best way to enter is to follow rule 3.
- Entries must be submitted by midnight EDT (Toronto time) on June 19, 2013.
- You may provide as many different answers as you wish, but only one entry will be counted per person.
- Single entries will be based on the honour system. If I find reasonable evidence that someone has entered multiple times using different identities, they will be disqualified.
- Members of my immediate family are not eligible.
- I will place the identities of everyone providing suitable entries in a hat and have Danny (or someone else nearby) draw the winner at random.
- The winner’s name and answer will be announced in a blog entry on or about June 24, along with a compilation of other answers I deem interesting.
- When the winner is announced, I will require a mailing address to be sent by email so I can send a subscription. In case I do not receive this by July 24, 2013, another winner will be drawn at that time.
Here is a bonus question, not for a prize, but to show off your travel experience, knowledge of geography or detective skills. I took the photo and it contains clues (it is not my favourite travel destination, but a mighty good one):
What is the name of the place in the image above?
If you want to try, please submit the answer in a comment separate from your contest entry. The first correct answer will bring honour to your name as long as this blog exists.