I created this dish to take full advantage of two things our vegetable garden has produced in abundance this year: basil and zucchini. The squash should be barely cooked, just enough to absorb some of the tangy sauce.
|Pasta with basil margarita shrimp|
Recipe type: Entree
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped and divided
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oz. tequila
- juice of 2 limes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package rice or whole-wheat fusilli
- 1 large zucchini
- parmesan (optional)
- Combine ¼ cup basil, tomato paste, 2 teaspoons oil, garlic, tequila, lime juice, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in shrimp and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instruction until el dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters and slice into ¼-inch pieces.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp mixture and stir for two minutes. Before the shrimp are thoroughly pink, add zucchini and stir for one minute. Add drained pasta and stir until heated through. Stir in remaining basil and serve with freshly ground pepper or parmesan.